In 1886, Druggists, as they were known at that time, got together and formed the Pharmaceutical
Association. Druggists were under the control of the Doctors and as such, quarterly meeting between
both professions were also held to discuss mutual concerns. Twelve years later, in 1898, members voted
for the formation of The Pharmaceutical Society, which, though functioning in the interim, was only
officially registered as a Society under the Company’s ordinance in 1925. The Society also established
The Pharmaceutical Journal, with the first issue published in 1940.
Commencing inn 1936, The Society opposed the regulation of the profession of pharmacy by the Council
of the Medical Board of Trinidad and in 1960 the Pharmacy Board Act 7of 1960, legislated into being the
Pharmacy Board of Trinidad and Tobago. Up to that time, the Society had represented pharmacists in all
matters pertaining to the profession of pharmacy, ranging from the creation of an Employment Bureau to
regulating the pharmaceutical trade in the Colony. As the Pharmacy Board gained in stature less attention
was given to The Pharmaceutical Society and it subsequently became defunct. It was revived in 2009 and
renamed The Pharmaceutical Society of Trinidad & Tobago (TPSTT). It is registered as a company with
the Registrar of Companies and its Memorandum & Articles of Association registered under the new
Companies Ordinance, Chapter 31 No 1.